Progress

I've been mad busy with all my studio work, which I've been trying to document as best I can.


Biggest news, I got my own bench space thanks to the object design department. Unfortunately, sculpture at Towson doesn't have the space for advanced undergraduate studios, so I have no consistent place to work. It was very nice of the jewelry ladies to offer me this space :)


I like the way they think in here. 
...


Here's a carved wooden body with holes for glass to fit. I'm in love with forstner bits.


The wood's been sanded super smooth and oiled up.


And the glass forms (from wooden molds) were epoxyed in.

Wooden molds for glass, you say? Why, yes. It's a process I'm still developing- lots of experiments to be had. There's alot of fire.







This is what it looks like once the glass has been annealed and cooled- it fits right back into its mold. The glass and the wood both become parts of the finished piece.



Only the top portion was for molding, the rest of the sculpture still needs to be laminated and carved. It'll eventually stand on three pointed legs as a tripod, glass and all.
...

Ceramics has me making a self portrait in stoneware,


which I decided to chop up.


Each portion of the face will be fired to cone 6, then mounted onto casters for gallery installation.


Somethin like this.
...

In other news, I have a piece showing at Gallery 788 in Baltimore next Thursday, Oct 10th. 
Opening runs from 6-10 and the show is open till Oct 31st.
788 Washington Blvd, Baltimore MD, 21230

1 comments:

Catherine Phung said...

Yay for moving in with us! :) Now I'll see your babies up close and personal

top